Emilie Kouatchou Makes “Phantom” History on Broadway | National News

New York (AP) — Up-and-coming star Emily Quatchu tried to leave the musical theater during a pandemic shutdown. I was worried about the future. She sticks to it and is now making Broadway history.

Soprano made its debut on Broadway as Christine at the end of last month. “Phantom of the Opera,” Became the first black woman to play that role in the 33-year history of the show in New York.

“Until then, I was putting a lot of pressure on myself. That day, I was.” What do you know? I’ll forget about it and live the best life there, “she says. “That night seemed to be the most enjoyable I’ve had for a long time.”

Shining Koachu With curtain call On October 27th, the marathon runners sprinted back to the stage with their arms pointing to the sky as if they were flipping the tape on the finish line, with the audience and castmates cheering and screaming.

“On Broadway in New York, I think Emily’s performance resonates with that in the world at this time,” said Seth Sklarhain, executive producer and executive producer who helped her choose her role. Says.

Kouatchou grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in Palatine, Illinois. She began performing at the Community Theater at the age of nine and once played the role of a farm girl in “Oklahoma!”.

“I was really shy, so I started playing at first, and we just moved to this town, Palatine. My mother wanted to take me out of my shell. And I did it, and I loved it, “she says.

She graduated from the University of Michigan Musical Theater Program in 2019 and landed a gig with “Oklahoma!”.so Broadway at Music Circus We held a Christmas show in India in Sacramento, California. She made her debut outside Broadway shortly before the 2020 pandemic hit as part of an ensemble of the musical “Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.”

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all live theaters have been shut down for 18 months. Closing was especially difficult for young musical stars like Kouatchou, who had no connection or savings with stage veterans. “It was really hard, and I’m not going to sugar coat it,” she says.

Kouatchou considered attending a business school or qualifying as a yoga instructor. “I didn’t know when I could play again and make money, so I was definitely looking at other options.”

She had previously auditioned for The Phantom of the Opera — just before the 2019 World Tour and Pandemic — but this time it was her time. She auditioned in May, made a callback during the summer, and learned in August that she played another Christine role.

Sklar-Heyn says that the demand for pandemics and racial justice has given producers and creators, including composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and producer Cameron Mackintosh, the opportunity to put their demands for diversity and inclusion into action. One way was to extend Christine’s definition.

Leaning on Talalbin Casting, Phantom posted a casting notice on Instagram and other social media to create a virtual public offering for Christine. From the 4,000 videos submitted, they narrowed it down to Kouatchou.

She shares a role with Meghan Picerno and is on Broadway’s longest-running musical three times a week. She follows Lucy St. Louis, the leading actress in West End Productions. Lucy St. Louis became the first black actor to play this role when the show resumed in London this summer.

“One of the things we were trying to do in both productions was to consciously and deliberately expand our approach to the casting process,” says Sklar-Heyn. Political perspectives from an emotional point of view have had a major impact on Broadway as an industry returning online. “

Kouatchou completed the lap when she stepped onto the stage. “The Phantom of the Opera” was her first Broadway show and won an award during her high school drama club trip to New York. My role now is her.

“Singing Christine’s singing was natural to me. I think it fits my voice well. It feels really good to sing. It’s natural and easy,” she said. say.

Based on Gaston Leroux’s novel, “Phantom” is the story of a transformed composer who haunts the Paris Opera and is obsessed with the innocent young soprano Christine. Lloyd Webber’s gorgeous songs include “Masquerade,” “Angel of Music,” “All I Ask of You,” and “The Music of the Night.”

Kouatchou follows in the footsteps of revered Christines such as Sarah Brightman, Emmy Rossum and Sierra Boggess. But what is important for Kouatchou is that she does not imitate anyone. “I wanted to be Emily as Christine.”

“It’s really liberating to be in a historical drama where you don’t have to inflate, scream, or sound like a suffering young girl. I can sound like me.”

Kouatchou’s Christine is the last of the three main parts of Broadway’s “Phantom” to break through the color barrier. In 2014, Norm Lewis became the first African-American to slip behind the famous mask, and two years later Jordan Donica did it for Raul’s role.

“It feels bad to have taken such a long time,” says Sklar-Heyn. “At this point, we accept the fact that we can do that and look forward to deliberately continuing to expand how and who we see on the stage inside the building.”

Since her historic step, Kouatchou’s Instagram account has been bustling with messages from young people that she inspired them.

“I love seeing these messages because I feel like I’m doing something for a higher purpose, even when I’m really nervous about the show.”

Mark Kennedy http://twitter.com/KennedyTwits

Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.



Emilie Kouatchou Makes “Phantom” History on Broadway | National News

Source link Emilie Kouatchou Makes “Phantom” History on Broadway | National News

The post Emilie Kouatchou Makes “Phantom” History on Broadway | National News appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment