Joaquin Phoenix, Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon Honesty | Entertainment

New York (AP) — at Mike Mills “Come on, come on” Joaquin Phoenix plays a New York-based radio journalist who records interviews about real-life children’s lives throughout the film, “What scares you?” And “What makes you happy?” Do you want to do it? “

During the production of the film, Mills sporadically scheduled interviews, often at the end of the day of filming.

“It always reminded me that the real thing is in front of the camera and that it’s really real,” says Phoenix. “They were just.”

“It’s like changing chemistry all the time,” says Mills. “Every movie has to do that.”

In “Cammon Camon”, the moment of the documentary appears in a cameo, but the whole movie is pulsing with something that is kind to real life. Performances are loose and often improvised. The story of his uncle (Phoenix) rushing into raising his sister’s nine-year-old son (Woody Norman) was inspired by the relationship between Mills and his child, Hopper.

“I always tell Hopper that humans are huge,” says Mills, who is married to filmmaker Miranda Julai. “All possibilities and contradictions are huge. A movie about humans. If you’re lucky, you’ll get it like a sliver.”

The black-and-white “Cammon Camon”, whose a24 will be released in theaters on Friday, may be a rare movie with a better touch. Since being screened at Telluride and New York Film Festivals this fall, “Cammon Camon” has been accepted as an unusually sweet, hearty and authentic film.

In October, Phoenix and Mills gathered on a balcony in Midtown to discuss a film that was filmed in January 2021, just before the pandemic began, and edited the entire film. Meanwhile, Phoenix became a father. Last year, he and Rooney Mara had a boy named after Phoenix’s brother, River.

“It was as if every stage of life was complicated in a few months,” Phoenix says with a laugh. “Life and death. Welcome to the experience!”

Asked if Phoenix started “C’mon C’mon” knowing that paternity was coming, he replied, “I don’t know. Do math, man” — what he knew. Before forgiving. But Phoenix, who is always reluctant to draw a straight line between art and life, warns that it is just a gateway.

“When I think about it in relation to my child and my experience, I go to’Hmm’. This is very own. I don’t want to go into the game of thinking about my life. Was it me? I’m unknowingly convinced, “says Phoenix. “I think it’s beautiful when I’m inspired by things in my life, but sometimes I don’t like it.”

For Mills, the scriptwriter and director of “Beginners” and “Women of the 20th Century,” the family was a regular reservoir. The “beginner” with Christopher Plummer was based on his father, and the head of the “20th century female” Annette Bening was inspired by his mother. But he also hesitates to be too candid about it. “Family” sounds too normative to him. He considers his subject to be a “major relationship.”

“I feel like the people who appear in your life in a really big way are in your universe,” Mills says. “Everything is there. It’s the Game of Thrones, Spider-Man, and comedy all thrown together. “

“C’mon C’mon” may have been built on autobiography, but Mills’ collaborative process has turned it into something else, something unique. For 12-year-old Norman, Mills’ freedom of filmmaking was new and revolutionary.

“I’ve been working on a very good movie.’It needs to be included in the script and nothing can be changed,'” says Norman, Zoom said from his home in London. “Because it’s loose, I myself. I wanted to let my creativity flow. To me, this movie is so fascinating because it turns out that everything is real. “

In this movie, Norman’s character, Jesse, is full of curiosity and quirks that go beyond the usual childhood perspective of the movie. Like Jess, Norman wants to be taken seriously for everything he can.

“I don’t want to be seen as a child actor. I want to be seen as an actor who is a child,” Norman says.

Phoenix also started as a child actor. He misses the experience. He believes he was a completely instinctive actor at the time and the idea he was trying to regain. For Phoenix, I was impressed to see Norman experience the same in the borderless creative space of “C’mon C’mon”.

“Somewhere near the end, he ironically said,” I have brought you this whole picture. ” And I think we all agreed with that, “says Phoenix.

“Cammon Camon” follows the movie opposite Phoenix of “The Joker” in 2019. The Mills movie wasn’t an antidote to anything, says Phoenix, but he slipped into another dynamic acting of Norman’s opposition.

“If you’re the main character in a movie, at least if I’m such an actor, you often feel that you need to move things in order to move the scene,” says Phoenix. “It was very interesting to listen and react to what someone else was doing without driving the scene.”

That also applies to movie interviews. They were held with a variety of children all over the country, including New York, New Orleans, Chicago and Los Angeles. The film is dedicated to the 9-year-old Devante Bryant of New Orleans, who was later killed in a shooting.

Phoenix has had a more painful relationship with the interview and started by recording an interview with his own nephew. He was worried that it might get in the way or feel uncomfortable. But then he asked his nephew how it felt, he replied. He asked me something I had never heard before. “

“I always had this strange, somewhat hostile relationship with the idea of ​​the interview and the question to be recorded, because of the nature of this,” Phoenix said. increase. “We’ve come to this drinking fountain, but we’re living another life away from it. What you’re doing, how difficult it is, how powerful it is, and conversations between people. I really have this appreciation for the beauty of being able to inspire. At best, that’s it. “

Follow AP film writer Jake Coil on Twitter. http://twitter.com/jakecoyleAP

Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.



Joaquin Phoenix, Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon Honesty | Entertainment

Source link Joaquin Phoenix, Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon Honesty | Entertainment

The post Joaquin Phoenix, Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon Honesty | Entertainment appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment