In “Lamb”, an unforgettable Icelandic film about motherhood | Nation

Noomi Rapace flew to Iceland to film the “lambs” on Sunday, and on Monday morning she literally delivered the lambs with a camera. I didn’t have time to wait or practice. It was the last week of the lamb season and the crew had already told the lamb that they could not give birth until the birds of prey arrived. They were at least half joking.

Birds of prey were tested in movies such as “Prometheus” and “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” but delivering baby animals was new.

“I had this adrenaline rush just before I stepped in and I could feel the heartbeat,” Lapas said. “And as soon as I got into that situation, it felt very natural. Oddly, I felt like I knew enough how to do this. Time to think and time to be tense. No. You just have to do it, do you know? “

In a sense, it’s certainly an intense and bizarre movie in which a childless couple, Maria (raptors) and Ingvar (Hillmill Snard Gudnason), find half a lamb and half a human baby in a barn. It was a properly intense and strange start and I decided to bring her up as my own. It’s almost easy for A24, a studio and distributor showing movies such as “Midsommar” and “Lobster,” to jump into the opportunity to reach a wide audience with this strange Icelandic story ( It will start in North America on Friday). theater).

“Lamb” is the feature debut of Valdimer Johansson, who has spent many careers working on various crews in Hollywood productions in Iceland. “Prometheus” was actually one such gig (he laughed that he worked in the “smoke and fog department”), but never crossed the road with La Paz there. Still, he knew she would be perfect for Maria, who wanted her own child. In addition, she already spoke Icelandic and lived in Iceland for a while as a child.

Johansson doesn’t remember how the idea came about, but he started collecting memorable images and delivered it to Lapas with a script co-authored with Icelandic poet and novelist Sean. I have put together a book.

“It’s a family drama with only one element turned off,” Rapace said with a laugh. “It’s a very beautiful story about motherhood. She was initially like being trapped in this flimsy reality of sorrow, and then she was given this healing opportunity. Maria’s journey is very inspiring. It was apt, original and strange. I love the simplicity of the story. “

Shooting wasn’t that simple. To create the child Ada, the production used 10 children and 4 lambs of different ages and edited them together. According to Johansson, there was almost no CGI. That’s probably why the images are so disarmament and effective.

Besides, the set was in a very isolated area of ​​Iceland. There, sheep are already 2 to 1 ahead of humans, there is no telephone signal, and sunlight shines for nearly 20 hours a day.

“I feel like I’ve left the world, and I’ve lived in this reality for three months. Maria has taken over me, my body, and my dreams,” Lapas said. rice field. “But it helps you … and it really reflected how many people live in Iceland. My grandmother, my family, they live on those remote farms. I’m out. “

Birds of prey also love to take advantage of the primitive and mythical films.

“When I was pregnant with my son, I dreamed of giving birth to love strange creatures. My worst nightmare is to give birth to something half-human. I said,” I did it with “Prometheus”, and here I am the mother of something in between, “she said. “For me, movies are free and there are no rules. You can explore and investigate from a completely free place. No bad. No good. It’s” What are we? Humans? ” What are the seeds, and what else? “

Johansson didn’t expect it to be a big international release, but he’s excited to do so. He said he was actually more nervous about the premiere in Iceland than at the Cannes Film Festival.

“When the Icelandic people shoot something in the north and cut it in the south, they look like this: I don’t recognize it!” He said. ..

But it turned out that he had nothing to fear. Icelandic sheep farmers also liked it.

Follow Lindsey Bahr, an AP film writer, on Twitter. www.twitter.com/ldbahr

Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.



In “Lamb”, an unforgettable Icelandic film about motherhood | Nation

Source link In “Lamb”, an unforgettable Icelandic film about motherhood | Nation

The post In “Lamb”, an unforgettable Icelandic film about motherhood | Nation appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment