Chasing Dusty Shoes and Sheep: Charlie Edity talks about her booking childhood | Our America: Indigenous Peoples and Cities

Houston-When you curl up under the blanket of your grandparents’ pull-out sofa, you can feel the warmth of a small body even with your eyes closed. Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, is a small Navajo (Dene) community near the four corners, with cool summer mornings.

I’m not completely awake, and my eyelids are hanging heavy enough to still remain closed. I can hear Shimasani (“my grandmother” in Navajo) hitting a pot or pan and looking for her favorite. Shicheii (“my grandfather” in Navajo) was usually already heading to our family’s farm. One day, if I wake up early enough, I’ll hear him start the tractor and I’ll hear the engine rumbling slowly disappear in the distance.

The morning was always my favorite time with my grandparents. When breakfast was ready and the house smelled of food, I was usually slowly moved out of bed by Shimasani. I sat at the table with bushy black hair, waited for her to pray daily in Navajo, and then jumped into a steamed hot plate of french fries and fresh Navajo tortilla spam.

As an adult, this is still one of my favorite meals. There are many unique childhood memories of spending time inside and outside Navajo Nation.

I grew up on the west side of Phoenix in Glendale. My parents moved to the city for a better job and a better opportunity. Both were born and raised in the settlement, so it was difficult to make this move. From an early age, my sister and I were told that Navajo Nation’s Dyne Biker was our true home.

Since I was 2 years old, I have traveled 6 hours one way to visit my family by appointment. I have seen the beauty of my tribe’s hometown throughout the four seasons. You can see all the mountains and mesas as you watch them pass by from the back seats.

I remember playing with rez dogs, grazing sheep, swallowing cool orange soda in the hot sun, and enjoying endless playgrounds with rugged bookings.

It is these experiences that helped shape me.

Being a Native American has a lot of joy, but it also comes with a lot of pain. Stereotypes still remain in the hearts of many. I can’t count how many times I’ve been asked if I live in a tent or if I’m getting free money from the government. Both answers are no.

I have also become accustomed to being the only indigenous people in a room, usually. are you sad? absolutely. Does it stop me? No.

The biggest challenge for me is to prosper in a world that historically wanted to see people like me fail. My ancestors fought to survive the horrific atrocities committed by the US government. First was our displacement, then our forced assimilation. Many people didn’t go well. I will never forget it.

This pain is not unique to the Navajo, but sadly it is the history of many indigenous peoples in the country. It’s an invisible scar that we all have.

But through this pain we still find our joy. We celebrate our language, our stories, our traditions and our survival. My grandparents gave these gifts every moment I was with them. I didn’t realize it at the time, but it taught me what it means to be a strong and confident Navajo woman, a woman who is proud of who I am.

I never imagined that playing in the soil of lesbians or chasing sheep would lead to news coverage in one of the country’s largest television markets. When I was a kid, I never dreamed that someone like me would come here. For my years as a news reporter, I received a message from a Navajo viewer about how proud I am of watching me on TV. On behalf of the Native Americans, thank you for inspiring a new generation.

For me, it’s the best compliment.

Celebrate Native American Heritage Month with “Our America: Indigenous and Urban” on Wednesday, November 17th at this ABC station. Where to stream: Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Roku..

Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. all rights reserved.



Chasing Dusty Shoes and Sheep: Charlie Edity talks about her booking childhood | Our America: Indigenous Peoples and Cities

Source link Chasing Dusty Shoes and Sheep: Charlie Edity talks about her booking childhood | Our America: Indigenous Peoples and Cities

The post Chasing Dusty Shoes and Sheep: Charlie Edity talks about her booking childhood | Our America: Indigenous Peoples and Cities appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment