17-year-old Gabriel Slonina plays and acts over his age at the Chicago Fire FC.

Chicago – In front of 31,308 fans at Soldier Field on October 23, Chicago Fire FC had the opportunity to leave a final impression on its supporters before the club finished the season in a few weeks.

Some of the spectators saw the club for the first time, others came from April, but that night I was able to see people online that would be part of the team’s future.

Goalkeeper and Addison-born Gabriel Slonina scored five saves against the club fighting for the playoff spot against Real Salt Lake and won a clean sheet with a 1-0 victory at the home finale. Did. Due to his efforts, he was named “Man of the Match”. This is because Fire won one of the most memorable wins of the 2021 season without playoffs.

With the 17-year-old boy becoming the youngest goalkeeper to play in a match in the history of Major League Soccer, one might think that Slonina’s appearance is the story of the year for the club. For the natives of the Chicago region, who saw fire as children in the hope that one day they would rob the fields for them, it certainly is a dream come true.

He decided to do it less than three months after he turned 17, but when he made his debut on August 4th in Soldier Field with a scoreless draw with New York City FC, he I was ready.

“It was a great experience,” said Slonina in his first season.

Still, the goalkeeper kept the veteran mindset and talked about the importance of preparing for each game. In this week’s interview, Slonina talked about the importance of meditation to prepare the mind and caring for the body through nutrition and training.

He was a backup for veteran Bobby Shuttleworth for most of the season, and the goalkeeper has time to see how to become a pro so he might be ready when his time comes. I put it on.

“I learned a lot in the process. I didn’t start or play a lot of games earlier this year, so I thought about how I could use it to prepare for my moment. “Slonina said. “I learned a lot and gained a lot of experience in what it takes to be a professional and play in MLS, so I’m really happy this year. I made my debut when I was so young and I’m old. We gained confidence and experience from the players and made sure they were all ready to use.

“Keep your body healthy and ready for every match like the finals. Make sure I’m professional and doing the right thing.”

Interim manager Frank Cropas guarantees it after meeting him in a training session or in a match in the last few months.

“He’s 17 years old, but he’s matured over the years. It was really impressive to me,” said Klopas of Slonina. “His quality is unquestionable. It is unquestionable. You see him training every day, he saves, and you do what he does again. You’ll have to see, sometimes you’re like shaking your head, but then he does that almost every day.

“But only with his maturity, his own way of holding, his work ethic, he has a good head and a good support system on his shoulders. Young man, the future is very bright for him, He must understand that he needs to continue to work on such things. “

His start at the finale with Columbus on Sunday will be the 11th of the season, so Slonina has a good foundation to build. He had four clean sheets at the time, had a 3-4-3 record at that time, was allowed 14 goals, and helped Fire’s 11 points in the last seven games. increase.

“What stands out is that he is a professional. He is always ready. He comes early. He leaves last,” said Mauricio Pineda, a defender of Slonina. “He was always the first one here, even when he wasn’t watching a minute in the field. Always be prepared for when his name was called. So it’s what he prepares. I think it shows exactly what you are doing in.

“And he’s brave. When he stepped into the field, he was brave and showed what he was, so I think it’s great to see from a 17 year old. So, yeah, he was outstanding. “

Playing and acting beyond his age is likely to take over the top goalkeeper position in 2022 of the Fire Club, which features off-season sales with a new full-time manager. Slonina’s goal. The 17-year-old wants to be one of the leaders as the club continues to build a new identity in this new era under its owner Joe Masueto.

“I don’t like to see age as a limiting factor in what I can do in this club. I want to be a leader. I want to be a person in the field that drives the team to success. And Check the men and make sure they are doing the right thing for their body and mind, “Slonina said. “I don’t want to be seen as 17 years old. I want to be seen as a leader and captain of the team. When people see me in the field, they know I’m the leader there I would like to confirm.

“I speak loudly to the defenders and make sure they are organized behind. That’s a big part of me. I look at the whole field and make sure I’m telling a lot with my teammates. Sure, being one of the players who motivates us and overcomes difficult times is definitely the type of character I want to express on and off the field. “

Playing and acting at his age of 17 and above is certainly a great place to start for goalkeepers who are building a professional football career in his hometown.

17-year-old Gabriel Slonina plays and acts over his age at the Chicago Fire FC.

Source link 17-year-old Gabriel Slonina plays and acts over his age at the Chicago Fire FC.

The post 17-year-old Gabriel Slonina plays and acts over his age at the Chicago Fire FC. appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment