Big 10: Alum’s Best Advice Under 40, Part 3 | People

In Chapter 3 of the one-month Sunday series, we asked Central Illinois Business magazine graduates of clubs under the age of 40 to share the best advice they’ve ever received.





Sarah Zeal




Vice President of UI Systems, Academic Initiatives and Policies

“I think the best advice I received was from one of my church priests. I was in the middle of getting married and planning a wedding, and for many reasons I was quite stressed. But one of them was worried if I would be a good wife.

“I got married later than planned and lived alone for a long time, so I didn’t know how to move to living with my husband soon. The priest told me not to worry,” Love Is a decision. “

“It really stayed with me and reminded me of a book I read called” Art of Possibility “by Rosamond Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander.

“This book contains some gems, but my big point is not to waste time getting angry or making excuses about it under any circumstances. Accept and understand how you are trying to deal with it.

“These two ideas work together to help you decide how they look every day, so you should make the most of it.”



Subha Kumar


Subha Kumar




Imprentus, Senior Research Scientist / Engineer

“Peter Abbamonte, a professor of physics in Illinois, tells me: Ask yourself this. Who are you, if not you?”

“I was suffering from severe impostor syndrome when I graduated from my PhD in Illinois,” said a postdoctoral fellow. I was fed up with my first “real” job and completely renewed my area of ​​expertise. I was switching to something. He made this comment in response to what I said: “I am not an expert in this field.”

“His advice gave a young, unconfident expert in her first industry job a very necessary guarantee that I understood it all and was there because I was intended. rice field.”



Rob Kowalski


Rob Kowalski




Deputy Director of Planning and Development Department, Champaign City

“Don’t say anything to emails that you don’t want to appear on the first page of paper.

“This advice was given by at least two city managers who have worked in the process of public services as a city planner for 26 years. I am a telecommunications expert and before pressing” Send “. Don’t forget to think.

“Sure, that’s a bit of advice, but it really is. If I had social media when I was a teenager, I would have received very similar advice from my mother.”



Gisele Rodriguez and his family


Gisele Rodriguez and his family




U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Construction Engineering Laboratory Facility Manager

“The most transformative advice I’ve ever received was,’Giselle, get out of your way.’

“Expectations for ourselves and our pursuit of perfection limit us to enjoy everything that has happened in our lives, to accept being loved, and to be more thankful for what we have to offer to the world. I noticed that.

“Getting out of my way was the cornerstone of my life, both personally and professionally.”



Rafael Lugieri and his family


Rafael Lugieri and his family




General Surgeon, Christie Clinic

“Some of the best advice I’ve received is:” Don’t sweat the little things or get stressed about the things you can’t control. “

“The first work was from my father, who started his own company while pursuing education in medical school and became the first newlyweds to enter the world looking forward to becoming a father. It was given to me in my early twenties.

“There is a lot of pressure we feel and it’s really easy to be overwhelmed. By” not sweating the little things, “you can focus on what’s most important and feel at ease with different people, even in difficult times. I was able to build and maintain a good relationship with. Too much was happening and it was being pulled in many directions.

“The second half of that advice-” Don’t be stressed about what you can’t control “-came long after Dr. Douglas Jones during my early surgical career.

“There’s a lot going on around us, but some of what’s happening to us is out of our control. For a while, I’ll fall into that category. I was worried about many things.

“In the end, it turned out to be unnecessary and only stress my life.

“Now I’m focusing on what I can control and putting my energy into it. This has helped me overcome some of the most difficult days and situations.”

Clark Lindsey President and Chief Executive Officer

“I remember when my mom gave me some advice, I said there was a big reward for helping others come up with their own ideas.

“Then she went to another room and helped my dad come up with the idea that he should eat out that night. Unfortunately for me, she shared her advice in front of my fiancée. My fiancé has spoken to me about tactics many times since then. “



Curtis Branden Senior


Curtis Branden Senior




Assistant Director of UI Office for Minority Student Issues

“My grandma-Savannah’Peggy’Smith, who had only high school education-was smarter than most professors. We promised to be educated. I kept my word and her The vision, along with God’s grace and mercy, has always guided my decisions in my educational pursuit.

“My father, Dr. Lee Ernest Branden, advised me:” Don’t be afraid to ask why. “It’s not necessarily because you don’t know the answer, but to someone about them. This is to give you an opportunity to explain your point of view. Not everything you learn is in a book.

“My mother, Georgial Blanden, told her children and grandchildren, who have been proven to be true over and over again, from her grandmother Mama Georgia: Selected above. “

“I am always respectful and grateful to Danville, Illinois and the community that raised me.

“I’m a child of Danville.”



Daily Anderson


Daily Anderson



Co-owner and managing partner of Tenet Wealth Partners

“Your” yes “is only as strong as your” no “. My mentor gave me this advice at an important point in my career.

“Your time is a valuable resource and you will never have enough. If you say yes to everything, there are always projects and opportunities where you can spend all your time.

“I always want to do my best, but I learned how important it is to take a step back to assess the methods in which my time is most often used.

“The word” no “has freedom. I learned to be more intentional about my time so that I can focus on what I care about and where I can make the most impact. “



Jeri Melchiorre


Jeri Melchiorre




Senior Director of UI Systems Investment

“Not only do I value most, but the advice I give to others, especially teenage and pre-teenage girls in my life, came from my mother, Mary Olmsted. ..

“It’s about being surrounded by people who really want the best for you and going back and forth accordingly.

“Given my family, friends and colleagues throughout my life, I’m not only there to celebrate with me at a great time, but also come to pick me up first when I hit the rough patch. People also stand out clearly.

“I find that these relationships are not competing with each other, so I support these people without any effort. We belong to the same team.

“These people add so much to my life, and I thank my biggest cheerleader, Mama, for teaching me this precious lesson early on.”



Adam and Andil


Adam and Andil




Champaign County Associate Judge

“My late father, Michael Dill, ran a small business in Champaign. My mother, Sharon Dill, was a teacher at Urbana and Muhammad.

“For this reason, I think my parents have always taught me the importance of setting goals and striving to achieve them. My brother and I are academic, athletic, artistic, or From simply being good friends to the amazing variety of people in a great community, we were routinely challenged to set short-term and long-term goals.

“The simple reason they will say is that you always live your life and make decisions with a purpose, so that you can succeed in achieving most of those goals. If you can, you are always moving forward as a person.

“My dad congratulated me on achieving my goal, big and small, and enjoyed it for a while. Then he would look at me and say,” What’s next, a young man? ” .. Even if he’s gone for 14 years, I still miss it.

“In my current judicial mission, for a myriad of unfortunate reasons, I interact with people who live every day without purpose, with no positive direction, without hope. It breaks my heart. increase.

“I’m always trying to come up with new and better ways to help and motivate them to achieve their best self. That’s my responsibility to this community I love.

“I was fortunate enough to meet my wife Anne 26 years ago and soon learned that she shared the same positive philosophy. Together, we set many goals. I’ve loved setting up, missing some, achieving many, and always moving forward together.

“I can’t wait to see what the future holds.”



Big 10: Alum’s Best Advice Under 40, Part 3 | People

Source link Big 10: Alum’s Best Advice Under 40, Part 3 | People

The post Big 10: Alum’s Best Advice Under 40, Part 3 | People appeared first on Illinois News Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment